Founded by King Childeric in 542 returned from his expedition against the Visigoths, the church of Saint Germain-des-Prés housed relics prestigious. She took the name of the bishop Germain who administered the church.
It was then called Saint-Germain-Le-Doré for the beauty of its scenery, composed of precious marbles, mosaic gold, its ceiling gilded bronze roof and shining in the sun… Ravaged in 887 during the Norman invasions, the tower and nave were rebuilt in the XIth century.
The nave and tower are Romanesque, while the heart is Gothic. The painted decoration was made by Hippolyte Flandrin from 1849 to 1861. Saint Germain-des-Prés is one of the oldest churches in Paris.
< One of the bays of the North wall of the nave
The front heart >
< The heart
The vault of the transept >
< With the valuable assistance of Mr. Georges CHAMA, sexton.
… Shots technically and physically difficult ! (Photo G. CHAMA)