.
Bérangère LOMONT, photographer

home

news

exhibitions

archives

portfolio

curriculum vitæ

contact berangere lomont

links

RSS Feed

legal notice and credits

clic
©TRADUIRE EN   flag EN

Valid HTML 4.01

Valid CSS 2.1

Valid LINKS 4.81

Valid RSS 2.0

WEBMASTER :
 Philippe Balança 

administration

# 20160320094331

The castel of Pierrefonds
 
Viollet-le Duc's vision of Middle Age (by  ARCOA )
 
Pierrefonds  
In 1393, Louis d'Orléans, Charles V's second son, built a fortified residence to keep an eye on trade between Flanders and Burgundy, fifedoms of Dukes of Burgundy, his rivals.
 
In 1616, the castle was dismantled after a fatal siege led by king Louis XIII.
 
The ruins were forgotten until the XIXth century, when Napoléon Ist bought it in 1810. In 1857, Napoleon III entrusted the restoration work of the castle to the architect Viollet-Le Duc.
 
In 1855, Viollet-Le Duc restored the cathedral Notre-Dame in Paris (photos at the exhibition  Now and Then  at the MOHAI). The architect applied his doctrine of the Middle Ages to Pierrefonds making it in a genuine innovation: «to restore an edifice is not to maintain it, repair it, or remake it, is to re-establish the monument in a complete state that may never have existed at a given moment.»
 
Pierrefonds entrée Pierrefonds Pierrefonds cour
 
 
 
 
 
La salle des Preuses, a former courtroom. It became a ballroom under the Second Empire. We can see the double-hearth fireplace decorated with statues of the Empress Eugénie and her ladies-in-waiting shown with the features of "the Worthies".
 
 
Salle des Preuses
 
Put your mouse to the left (or to the right) of this photograph to go across the room...
 
 
Salle des Preuses
 
 
 
Copyright © Bérangère Lomont 2005-2017